Monday 18 February 2013

Ramblings of a bored man


The time has come to head back home; I am not sure what home I am heading too- Is it the same one I was eager to move away from 4years ago or a much-improved one?

Many of my friends say it is the same, some say it is even worse. For some reason I am hugely optimistic about my prospects (especially my job prospects). Getting a job is the most important thing; I have a girlfriend who probably thinks I am crazy going back to Nigeria in the name of "pursuing a dream" lol! I wonder sometimes if this so called dream is worth pursuing.

I have always wanted to be a diplomat since I met my 'Uncle Alhaji' (hahah that was what we called him). He was working for the Nigerian Foreign Affairs and had a fancy Mercedes Benz and two other cars in the mid nineties- he also travelled frequently on diplomatic assignments and came back with lots of goodies for his young nephew, I mean being a diplomat had to be the way right?

Spoke to my folks recently about getting a job in the foreign service and they laughed and said it is almost impossible son, you will probably require a letter of recommendation from the president himself to get a job there. Dreams shattered? Maybe not, I have always known getting a job was going to be difficult so when I finally decided and said ‘fcuk it I am headed home’ and packed my bags and hugged my girlfriend goodbye I knew deep down in my heart that it was not going to be easy. Maybe I should not give up after just one week of job hunting. Maybe there is hope, maybe I should turn completely to God and things will just work out.

I notice that I have become much more religious, like every Nigerian should, as it will take only divine intervention to help us get rid of these leaders who continually press the self-destruct button.

I have set myself a target and remain optimistic about my chances and hopefully with the collective force of God, my folks and my good genes I will somehow get a job before all the pounds (currency) run out. If that doesn’t work then I will just go on to getting some more education, add a ‘Dr’ to my name and learn French or something. Lol! Hopefully my girlfriend doesn’t run off by the time I sort my life out. Whew!



GOD BLESS NIGERIA … hehehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment